Venison Recipes?

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

Vengeance
Prolific

Venison Recipes?

Post by Vengeance » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:31 pm

Just received a nice chunk of venison from my brother as a thank you for watching his children as he went out on a weekly basis to find and kill Bambi. It's a tenderloin, roughly 1.5 pounds. He suggested a potroast, but I feel as if this would take from the taste of the meat unless done correctly. I've never cooked venison before; anyone have a tried and true recipe for this tenderloin?

Also got some sausages, but I'm confident in my cooking with them :)

redfireant3
Prolific

Re: Venison Recipes?

Post by redfireant3 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:53 pm

try a marinade

Havoc
Prolific

Post by Havoc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 am

Ok kids step back from this I got it!!!

Never EVER EVER EVER use tenderloin for potroast!!!! Its the best meat. That's like taking a Ribeye and throwing it in the crock pot.

First thing is to cut the meat into about 1 " steaks and put in a bole under running hot water to get some of the blood out after you tenderize it. If its not tenderized then you can use the top mouth part of a beer bottle if you don't have a mallet. Take the meat and marinade it in a little bit of Dales seasoning, worchestire sauce, and Montreal Steak seasoning. Not to much Dales cause it will be to salty. Get some sliced jalapeno peppers and some smoked bacon. Put a slice or tow jalapeno's in the middle of the steak, wrap it with bacon, and use a tooth pick to hold the bacon and jalapeno together. (Can put cream cheese in with the jalapeno if you like). Pour about 1/2 to 3/4" deep of oil in a pan and stick them in am just keep flipping them until done.

Or do all the same as above with the marinade and use flour with the Montreal seasoning, salt, and pepper mixed in and fry it until golden brown. Don't let the oil get to hot or it will burn the crust really fast.

Add some Black eyed pees, mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy with a big glass of sweet tea and call me just before its ready :)

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:21 am

Thanks Hav! I'll give it a shot (though likely with some red/green bell peppers instead; not a fan of jalapeno!)

How long would you marinate it for?

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 am

1-3 days

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:02 am

Huge thumbs up Havoc - came out fantastic!

Havoc
Prolific

Post by Havoc » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:07 am

Yea love my venison...

Rage
Prolific

Post by Rage » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:54 pm

I like mine simple, this method isn't for those who do not like the gamey taste.

Cut venison into 1 inch steaks, and 1/2 inch thick depending on how thick you prefer it.
sprinkle salt and pepper then flower both sides. Use your favorite cooking oil into skillet half as deep as you cut your meat. Heat cast iron skillet (or preferred skillet for cooking meat) until you can test the flour and it begins to fry. If you put it in too early the flour wont stick, too hot and it will burn and stick to pan. The tricky part now is not cooking it till it turns to leather but not leaving it raw on the inside. I usually cook until browned on both sides and the meat is somewhat firm, if you overcook it beings to feel like shoe leather.

I have had deer cooked many ways, some are terrible but others are great. Havocs recipe is somewhat similar to one I tried and it was really good.

Time to thaw out some deer meat!