Olympics - Opening Ceremony

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

Crystal
Prolific

Olympics - Opening Ceremony

Post by Crystal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:20 am

Ok so the opening ceremony started a bit like Telly Tubby Land with an open mic night - but it did have it's good parts!

The James Bond parachute spectacle and of course Queenie! Also a fairly nice represenation of some great British music - but apart from that, was it really worth the Money, or the hype?

I thoguht the stadium looked nice, lots of masonic icons dotted about and some very pretty lights!

I've been pissed of with constantly hearing about it on the news but in the end, I actually quite enjoyed watching it.

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Re: Olympics - Opening Ceremony

Post by NoOutsTwice » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:23 pm

I thought it was awesome. As for the expense, how often do you get to have the whole world over for dinner? \:D/
win with honor

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:10 pm

I thought it was well done!
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]

Mojo
Intermediate poster

Post by Mojo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah i liked the olympic rings being forged in the industrial part and then coming together and the touch of each team having a funnel thing that i remember wondering what it was for and then they merged them all together to form the torch. Pretty impressive! :)

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:44 pm

China did it better!

What I can't understand is, it's the fking olympics! Why aren't the seats all full?

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Vengeance wrote:China did it better!

What I can't understand is, it's the fking olympics! Why aren't the seats all full?

its crazy how the seats are not full.. from what i have read its the IOC giving tickets away to members/high class and they dont show up.. Imho the Olympics should be about the people.. I understand the hosting country needs to make some money back to pay for the debt they accept by hosting but if they have open seats they should be letting people in to watch.. for free or pretty damn cheap.. come on now..

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Because they are too fucking expensive!!!!

A seat for the opening ceremony - £1600 - £2000. Yeah right!

A seat for the women's shotput....... £450.

So now you see why the seats are empty. London is dead, I honestly think everyone's fed up with the sheer corporate greed that's overshaddowed this year's games. Backslapping, palm-greasing - seems like that's what it's all about. You can't buy fries from any of the fast food stands because McDonalds got the sponsorship, you can only buy Heineken if you want a beer (at £7 a bottle). There are more people patroling the park enforcing sponsorship deals than there are security looking for terrorists. You heard about that scandal I'm sure... they had to call in the army because the security company that got awarded the contract only managed to recruit 20% of the guards they were supposed to, and that was with their 'no rejection' recruitment policy.

Do I fancy going to the Olympics? No way!!!! (It really annoyed me that the ceremony wasn't shown live as well - why, incase of mishaps??)

I am enjoying watching the Gymnastics though and the Diving. :)

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 pm

At least you got it closer to live than we did! I was able to read tons of reviews on the opening ceremony hours before it aired on US TV...

450 for shotput... wow. I heard something about giving tickets away to the veterans as a solution to fill the seats. Not that I have anything against that, but you'd think instead they'd just lower the prices! I didn't realize it was that bad.

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 pm

ya let not even mention that NBC BULLSHIT ON the web... You can watch "Live" most events but events like Women's Beach Vollyball.. if you dont catch it live you cant watch the replay untill it airs during primetime later that night.. kinda bullshit.. Not like they dont have adds on the internet..

Lets not even mention that its fucking 2012 How come there is not 15 channels to watch what ever sport i want to...

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Smithy wrote:ya let not even mention that NBC BULLSHIT ON the web... You can watch "Live" most events but events like Women's Beach Vollyball.. if you dont catch it live you cant watch the replay untill it airs during primetime later that night.. kinda bullshit.. Not like they dont have adds on the internet..

Lets not even mention that its fucking 2012 How come there is not 15 channels to watch what ever sport i want to...
There is in england :) including an interactive bit where you can select to watch any sport thats currently on.

When I was looking at tickets for the football they weren't as expensive as crystal has said and has had crowds of around 60,000 although im guessing the football final will be a lot more expensive!

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Maybe you were looking at the paraolympic tickets Holy? They are generally cheaper.

I'm talking about the events that are in the Olympic Park being expensive - not sure about the other Olympic locations. Although, Weymouth Beach looked positively remote this morning for the sailing.....

Can we have the link to watch the live stuff? I wanna watch the clean and jerk...

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 pm

for you guys across the pong i believe its just the BBC site..

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:39 pm

Crystal wrote:Maybe you were looking at the paraolympic tickets Holy? They are generally cheaper.

I'm talking about the events that are in the Olympic Park being expensive - not sure about the other Olympic locations. Although, Weymouth Beach looked positively remote this morning for the sailing.....

Can we have the link to watch the live stuff? I wanna watch the clean and jerk...
if you have virgin just go to like 551 and press the red button

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:53 pm

I am really digging watching the USA Womens "Football" team.. its enjoyable have not cought the Mens team seems more dramatic for the women. i dunno

I also find that i really do enjoy "Football" when the stage is world wide IE World Cups and Olympics.. not so much the normal season like the primer league to hard to follow it i suppose.

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:20 pm

I know what you mean. I rarely enjoy watching football but have the watched the mens and the womens and actually enjoyed it. Seems like there's less spitting, diving, bad language etc and more sportsmanlike behaviour.

What I've really enjoyed though, is the Judo. It's a bit tactical and not as aggressive as usual but still great to watch and even better since it hasn't been dominated by the asians. Looking forward to the Taekwondo even more :)