Olympics - Opening Ceremony

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

Smithy
Prolific

Re: Olympics - Opening Ceremony

Post by Smithy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 am

o come on now committing a common foul is not un-sportsmen like.. its the kicking and the spiting gloating about your victory or blaming other for the loss etc.

From websters

: conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport

from wiki

Sportsmanship (or sometimes sportspersonship) is an aspiration or ethos that a sport or activity will be enjoyed for its with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors. A sore loser refers to one who does not take defeat well, whereas a good sport means being a "good winner" as well as being a "good loser".[1][2]
Sportsmanship can be conceptualized as an enduring and relatively stable characteristic or disposition such that individuals differ in the way they are generally expected to behave in sport situations. In general, sportsmanship refers to virtues such as fairness, self-control, courage, and persistence,[3] and has been associated with interpersonal concepts of treating others and being treated fairly, maintaining self-control if dealing with others, and respect for both authority and opponents.
A competitor who exhibits poor sportsmanship after losing a game or contest is often called a "sore loser" (those who show poor sportsmanship after winning are typically called "bad winners"). Sore loser behavior includes blaming others for the loss, not taking responsibility for personal actions that contributed to the defeat, reacting to the loss in an immature or improper fashion, making excuses for the defeat, and citing unfavorable conditions or other petty issues as reasons for the defeat.[4][5] A bad winner acts in a shallow fashion after their victory, such as gloating about his or her win, rubbing the win in the face of opponents, and lowering the opponent's self-esteem by constantly reminding them of how "poorly" they performed in comparison (even if they competed well).
Contents [hide]

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:18 am

Not sure I'd call it a common foul, it is cheating and if it wasn't for the awful refereeing that has plagued the entire competition, it would of been a penalty.

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:40 am

How is it not a common foul thats like the first thing u learn about the sport. And jusg abouy every game ive ever watched its called atleast once

Mojo
Intermediate poster

Post by Mojo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:56 am

It doesnt matter how easy it is to commit or how common it is. Hand ball inside the 18 yard box when your hand is not in a natural position, (ie: by your side as it was before she noticed the ball was going to go past her) is an offensive that results in a penalty to the other team. At the top level of sport there are no excuses and that move could have cost them the tournament if the referee had done her job properly. Check out Thierry Henry's hand ball for France against Ireland that kept the ball from going out for a goal kick and instead knocked it towards a French player who put it in the net. That resulted in France going to the World Cup instead of Ireland which was totally unfair. Luckily though karma caught up with them and their team fell apart at the World Cup with them losing every match and all fighting with each other and the manager got fired so ha ha France! :P

As it was i thought the Americans played really well though and that second goal was a fantastic strike! :)

Here is the clip i was talking about,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUxMRYJAso

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am

I was going to insert a quip about Irish folk always crying about football referees but realized that I might now part of the club given the Women's USA/Canada game.. ](*,) -- what I found really interesting is the total and complete omission about these two incidents on, say, CNN; they'll give you a decently thorough written highlight summary of the match but no mention of the (game-changing!) controversial bits at all..

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 pm

I was gutted - I missed the final of the ladies football. GBR did get a Gold medal in Taekwondo though which is amazing!!!

What I want to know is, what's with loads of the athletes having blue tongues - like, in almost every sport!!??

I wondered if it was something to keep them from getting dehydrated too quickly? Either that or they are all just drinking the same blue drink before events?!

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Powerade!

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Mens basketball's a little stacked, eh?

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 am

Excellent article regarding the debate on Olympic standards / Premiership standards etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19281103