Up Grading my PC

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Up Grading my PC

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:10 pm

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade my pc... its a home built, had my comp sci friends a few years back help build it, but they are no longer around. With BF2 coming I seriously need to upgrade... but I'm not compter literate enough to make the decisions on my own. I'm looking to get a new video card & more memory, possibly more.... would anyone be willing to help me out on this?

I'm also wanting to start using IRC, but am not familar with it at all... I've tried using it in the past but got lost real quick... would anyone be interested in walking me through it till I get a handle on it?

GunCrazy
Prolific

Post by GunCrazy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:25 pm

9800pro vid card will be good......
and i dont mind helping you with what i know about IRC

PhoeniX
Prolific

Post by PhoeniX » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:37 pm

i got an 9800pro, its pretty good but its not good for BF2 in high detail i think. maybe u'll need an x800 (pro/XT)?

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:40 pm

if you got x-fire ill help ..... unsivilized

9800's will be obsolete by 2006 :(

IT all depends on how much you want to spend.... alot of us puter builder's use Newegg.com they have great reviews but always get 2nd opinions tomshardware.com is what most people prefer for reviews as i look for as many as i can find.....

if your on a budget 9800 is the best bet ..... whats the budget your working with ! ?! ?
Life is a game, your either a winner or a loser.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:51 pm

Now this is what I'm talking about... not but 5 min & I've got three responses 8)

Your talking about the Geforce 9800 I assume, I've looked at it & was very tempted to get it... but wanted to know if there were any better ones out there. My budget is pretty open, I'm willing to go as high as 600 US on a vid card.

I'll get X-fire set up here at work too... user name is: blackhawk55

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:57 pm

well it says im already on your x-fire....

the 9800 is a ATI card

Geforce is nvidia...the 6800

whats the set up you have now ?

just cause you upgrade the vid card doesnt mean youll get better FPS (frames per second)

if you have 600 and a fast PC i recomend the x850

also what kinda slot do you have AGP or PCI

the ATI is actually the card of choice at the moment if your getting a card just because of BF2 i think that Nvidia is sponsering bf2 so that would be the card i would go with even though the x850 is a hair faster than the 6800 ultra

i have a plain 6800 and i love it i get anywere from 75-180 FPS in any game with 4x AA and 8 x AF all set to high my average FPS is about 101 in most Benchmarks

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:10 pm

can't remember my password for x-fire... so I can't get it set up here at work till I can go home & check it... I do have you on there too unsivilized

The setup I have now... see, thats where I really need the help. I know a few of the basics of my pc, but not enough to properly answer the questions. From what I can remember I have a Geforce TI500, on a P4 1.8, 784DDR ram...

Again, my ignorance is hindering, I don't know if I have AGP or PCI slots..
unsivilized wrote: 4x AA and 8 x AF all set to high my average FPS is about 101 in most Benchmarks
... don't know half of what this means. :oops:

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:46 pm

well looks like your puter is a little old ........for about $600-900 you can build or upgrade your whole PC seems like your ram is little shabby most people run about 1 gig, dont know much about your processor but you may be able to upgrade your motherboard .......also with these new video cards i recomend a nice $100 power supply thats a stable 500w with a nice 12v rail.....you can always buy 1 part at a time ...make sure you get the right parts though because allot of parts are made 1 way

i love there site an there prices they also have fast shipping and good customer service which offers returns and RMA

http://newegg.com/

in order to upgrade your PC im gonna need to know all your system specs

what type of mother board
what power supply do you have
DVD ? CD
basically the mobo will clarify everything

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:05 pm

I'll get ahold of you tonight on TS... I'll need help finding the specs on my pc... & determeining if I should upgrade the whole damn thing. Thanks for the help :!: :)

Escobar
Prolific

Post by Escobar » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:14 pm

if u dont know what part u got download cpuz it tells u everything about your pc
Representing The REAL 0nes

"I tried to quit puffing before, but im no quitter"
-Method Man

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:06 pm

Ok, heres my rig.... (thanks esco for the link to that program)
I'm not sure of what information is needed though...

CPU: Intel P4 1.8GHz

MB: ABIT i845-W83627HF BD7 Rev:1:0

Graphic interface: AGP version2.0

768 MBytes of DDR-SDRAM - only two slots, I plan on buying 1gig to replace the 256, but didn't know the type (DDR-SDRAM) till today :)

I replaced my power supply a few months ago... damn if I can remember what I got, it was the best for a P4

I assume the MB type will tell you if its a AGP or PCI (what do those mean anyways ;) )

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:46 pm

ok, I'd say if you want to get the best performance for bf2, you need to build a new system. That p4 is very old and I'd only say it would be good for bf1942. For video cards, the geforce 3 you have is the minimum I would run bf1942 on and I wouldnt even think of running bfv on it. Your ram amount is decent, but the type of ram it is isnt what you can use in a new system if you build a new one. Basically what you need to do is think about what you want to do. I know that I consider gaming a big part of my life and I love it so much that I buy what I want. If you feel that you will be playing BF2 religiously and you will be a dedicated player, then I would say go for the most your willing to spend. Besides a new pc, keep in mind other things that affect your gaming experience. Such as monitor, keyboard mouse. Monitors can be expensive, but if you want big for cheap, get a CRT 21 inch flatscreen off ebay. You can get one shipped for under or around 250. Keyboards, keep in mind that anything wireless slows down response time. Make sure you get a good solid keyboard. I recommend either http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 003&depa=0 , or a wired logitech one. For mice I'd say go with a razor diamondback. You can search the forums for a post I made about them. A few guys in this clan now have it besides me and they like it very much and find its accuracy(1600DPI) amazing. As for the actual computer goes, you want to get nothing less than an AMD 64 3000 with a nforce4 motherboard, a gig of ram, a x800XL, and a good hard drive. If you want fast load times on your maps, get a Raptor. The 74gig raptor drives are about 180. I dont know the price of the 36gig versions. Those drives you would just have your windows and a few games(bf2) on. You'd install all your other programs and pron on a spare drive. To put all these parts together you need a good case with a good power supply. At least a 450-500 watt from a good company, such as antec. If you got a system based on the parts I just said, you'd spend

300(video card)+85(motherboard)+CPU(146)+Ram(140)+Case(80)+PowerSupply(50)+Raptor180gig(180) +Second 160gig Hard drive(95)=1076

now you could just forget the raptor, and it would cost you a total of 896.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:21 pm

Ok, Thanks beelzebub, great job.... you confirmed my suspision that I just need a new rig... I knew that my system was getting old, but was hoping that it would last a little bit longer... oh well, don't have too much of a problem getting a new system, actually look foward to it. At last, I'll finally have two computers to play with!! I play daily, for hours... it'd be worth spending some $ on a good system...

I guess the only thing from my current system that I'll be keeping is my monitor, I'll upgrade that later....

-CD drive, keyboard, mouse, case & power supply - no problem

-You said minimum for cpu & mb would be a AMD 64300 w/ nforce4, any other suggestions that would go above the minimum?
-What kind of ram would be needed?
-x800XLm, I'd be willing to go higher on a vid card
-I've got a external 120gig hard dirve on a 2.0usb connection, I won't need the second hard drive... I assume the 36 gig would work for me for the OS & typical stuff. I'll def be going with a raptor, I like fast load times ;)

The biggest problem I have with building a computer, is that I don't know how to set up the bios (and the reason I haven't upgraded yet).... any suggestions on how I could accomplish that? There is a computer place here in town that I think would set it up for me.... but don't know if thats the route I should go.

Thanks again for all your help!

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:23 pm

I'l post when I get home, gtg to school right now.

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:06 pm

1st youll need to decide on a mother board......

754 (how many pins on a AMD processor) or 939

754 is cheaper however you cant put a fx55 chip in if you want to upgrade
so i recomend looking for a mother board with 939 nv4 or nv3 which is the chipset

Mother boards is your choice, i like my gigabyte good price easy to upgrade My mobo

Other popular brands are DFI, and Asus <--asus is nice but allot more expensive both asus and gigabye have utilities for overclocking :) great feature to play with

Another thing youll have to look at is what kind of slot you want to get for the video card ( Do you want to eventually make it a super machine?)
if so i would go PCI ..... 2 nvidia 6800 ultras) i prefer AGP....

Well here is the list of mobos to look at, i did 1 month of research and readin before i made my purchse Mother boards

Basically when purchaseing your Processor you get the one that fits your budget and make sure the pins match your mobo 754-939

CPU's

For video cards its all about preference and budget Both the ATI and the Nvidia's perform about the same ...... so its all on opinon and choice
Video cards

And as for ram :) if you got the cash to blow go low latency but .... only gor a slight speed increase it goes the same for HD's you pay twice as much for 1second faster load time whcih really isnt a big difference

on a second note 1 gig regular speed ram is faster than a 512 low latency
RAM

more to come and to get more opinions on what to buy go to

http://www.controlled-insanity.com and join the forums