Up Grading my PC

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Fri May 27, 2005 2:43 pm

Dont hook that up, once you hook that up by setting the jumpers on the motherboard correctly it willdisable the rear audio plugs.

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Fri May 27, 2005 2:50 pm

you wont always hook all of them up.....
Life is a game, your either a winner or a loser.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue May 31, 2005 1:51 pm

K, thanks guys... its all built & it runs (after reinstalling the orginal powersupply that came with the case, the "better" one that I ordered didn't work :? )

unsivilized, did you have any problems installing Windows on your SATA HD? After Window's Setup creates & copys the Windows folder it forces restart & does it again, not recognizing the folder. I'm not running Raid, just one HD. I couldn't find any forums on Gigabytes website, & a google search produced threads of other people with the same problem - but no solutions... short of contacting Gigabyte (my next step) I'm lost. :?

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Tue May 31, 2005 2:43 pm

im not runnnig raid :/ but however i do know windows doesnt have drivers for raid, make sure you use the install disk that came with the mobo it installs one thing at a time and it takes a hour cause it restarts over and over....also you may want someone to help you with your bios settings ...you need to flash and update it also disable allot of things for a faster startup, and you you may need to enable some raid features

i had a problem with installing windows, due to hardware problems, My vid card was bad, power supply ! was the biggest problem

when windows encounters 3 major errors or fatal flaws it shuts its self down and becomes inoperable sometimes causeing the infamous "blue screen of death"

in the next few weeks of trouble shooting and tweaking you will become uber geek learning about the trial and error of PC building

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue May 31, 2005 3:10 pm

BlackHawk5 wrote:I'm not running Raid
I'll try using the disk that came with the MB, if I can find it.....

ugg, this is why I didn't want to build a computer :roll:

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Tue May 31, 2005 3:19 pm

holy shit if you didnt use the disk that means your missing tons of stuff youll need......... with a new system you should install everything you can before you install windows ...... cause window drivers suck and need to be replaced with the manufacturer drivers

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue May 31, 2005 3:51 pm

YEAH, see, I know sh*t about setting up a computer & the manuel said nothing about that..... I may have saved myself some money by buying all the parts, but I would've saved myself A LOT of frustration if I would of gotten a pre-built.

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Tue May 31, 2005 4:42 pm

like i said ....now youll know how to fix and build a PC ;) one good thing about building them its a learning experience

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Ok, its built & running :D , DC installed & running on the highest settings :P.... get ready to be pawn'diddid :!: :twisted: no more lagging for me :D.... 64 man server here I come!! :wink:

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:33 pm

unsivilized
Prolific

Post by unsivilized » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:52 pm

you all of us that helped you a beer at the gathering

Escobar
Prolific

Post by Escobar » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:04 am

or a joint in my case :D :wink:
Representing The REAL 0nes

"I tried to quit puffing before, but im no quitter"
-Method Man

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Re: Up Grading my PC

Post by BlackHawk5 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:55 am

Reviving my old thread!! (April 19th, 2005)
Well it looks like I will need to upgrade my gaming PC a little earlier than expected, atm it looks like the mobo needs to be replaced. I was already planning on upgrading to a new video card & power supply by winter, but it looks like I have to take the plunge now. Assuming it wasn't fried, the cpu is still a beast (quad 2.83ghz), so I will just need to find a new mobo that will work with today's video cards & my older cpu. I know a few people here have upgraded recently, and though I plan on looking through your associated threads, what are the new video cards? (If I only have to replace the above three items, budget is not a concern).

For the moment any gaming I want to do will have to be done on 5.1 (my old gaming rig, posting from it now) which is currently apart of my entertainment center in the living room, so I'm not sure how much you will see (or hear) me.

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Post by NoOutsTwice » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:49 pm

I just bought the Asus HD 6870 Direct CU for my new build. I think the ATI offerings are better than the NVidia stuff ATM.
win with honor

Alien24
Exuberant

Post by Alien24 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 pm

I have some time to help. I have been studying up on hardware cause I need a new one as well. Give me some feed back on what you have now. I know you said you have a quad core 2.8 but really you are going to be better off with one that is over 3. ... but of course since BF3 is going to be a 64 bit game it will use all cores unlike most games today. Anyways let me know I'll give you an ideal.