Future of gaming..

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Future of gaming..

Post by dox » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:29 pm

No more rentals from video stores, no used games market, no lending games to friends, less upgradeable computers, pay-as-you-play software subscriptions, and other consumer-unfriendly changes - is this the future of gaming?

http://curmudgeongamer.com/article.php? ... 3221322445

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:50 pm

Pretty scary stuff. They don't even mention how the quality of retail releases has dropped in recent years too, with the increased ease of patching a game post release. Most retail games now are late betas, in my opinion. Look at BF1942 and Raven Shield, 2 games that I frequent and are still getting bug fixes and patches over a year after their release. I wonder how long before we have to pay for that too?

dox
Prolific

Yep

Post by dox » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:14 am

As far as I know my copy of "Unreal" is still in beta, I was livid when "Unreal Tournament" came out after the developers has been buying time with the Unreal community saying that everyone was "worn out" from developing the first and the patches were forthcoming.. Time goes by, patch still not out and boom, here's a new product for everyone to buy! Of course no one seems to remember that now, and blissfully continues to purchase their titles..

USAF (Jane's game) was great - but it and a lot of other titles promised this 'total war' concept (it's on the box!!) where all of their games would be linked together; got a flight sim? got a sub sim? Wanna try bombing a sub with your jet? The idea was that the games would meet somewhere in between and make it happen.. Problem is it never happened..

And then you've got the whole hardware locking down aspect - all you Microsoft lovin' bozos are driving this just by buying in to the platform, it's dead simple for these kinds of restrictive mechanisms to be put in place if everyone's using the same operating system. When Hollywood gets involved in the PC market things go to hell quick.. And how on earth did anyone let Microsoft get away with even the mere notion of having the OS lock up if there's x amount of hardware changes in your system?

I hope none of the stuff in the article comes true, but I'll be surprised if a majority of it doesn't..

Atlas
Prolific

Post by Atlas » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:59 am

Dox, if you could teach me how to use all of my windows based software on linux, not only would I denounce it, I would wiskfully crap on the cracked version of WinXP (I denounce supporting Satan's master) and mail it to MR.Gates.

Will: Hey, have you heard the news?
Matt: What's that?
Will: The new Microsoft software spits out satanic messages from your computer when you use the CD backwards.
Matt: That's not the worst part.
Will: Oh?
Matt: Yeah, if you use the CD forwards it installs Windows.

mini
Prolific

Re: Future of gaming..

Post by mini » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:38 pm

it seems as always they just throw it out there and let the consumer deal with the disappearing into wall or some other gay bug. i think console games like sony and xbox are for pregamers, i think the evolution to to pc games comes from bordom of shit console games. these companies that create the harware and develope the software are still making walkmans (sony). security issues i feel are from our paranoid music and hollywood types, they want to share their tech with game developers. in the end it is more money and more upgrades needed for more money.
small and fierce.........
Alienware 15 R3
6700HQ, 16 gig DDR4 @2667, 1060 GTX 6 gig, 128 SSD boot, 1000 gig Storage.

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:10 pm

Well, say what you want about console games, at least they're released finished. Of course, they have it easy, not having to deal with multiple hardware configs/versions of OS's, etc.

And that stuff about WinXP and needing to pay again if you change too much hardware in your machine just blows my mind. "Congrats on your new video card, now give us money for....nothing!!!" Bastards. I'm still on Win2000 and likely will be for the forseeable future. If I could go to Linux and still have all my software work, I probably would, but it looks like too much of a headache right now.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:28 pm

to long..... I'll read it if some1 can make a short version of it

Tin Cup
Intermediate poster

Post by Tin Cup » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:33 am

Ok i will try...
Ringo - All games come out to early, so they are crap!
Dox - (Agreeing with Ringo) Ya the games are being devolped faster then the patches are!
Atlas - Bad joke
mini - consoles suck, go PC!
Ringo - WinXp sucks! But its all i got...
Shaddow - Make short!

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:38 am

No no no, WinXP sucks, Win 2000 is all I got. Sheesh. You should work for Fox news.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:52 am

no, no TC, that's not what I ment.... I ment reading that stuff dox linked.... I read all the posts.... :lol:

who found out the name Microsoft?

Bill Gates's wife when she saw him naked for the first time