Julian Assange

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Crystal
Prolific

Julian Assange

Post by Crystal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm

What are people's views on this situation?

As I understand it, the guy hasn't been charged with a crime, and is well within his rights to apply for political asylum wherever he chooses. I don't believe the allegations against him hold any weight at all and were most likely fabricated.

justice7ca
Prolific

Re: Julian Assange

Post by justice7ca » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Absolutely fabricated. The sex charges against him were both timely and widely reported to slander his name. There are a lot of other real sex offenders out there, who don't get near as much attention as he's getting.

I don't particularly like the guy as a person, because I feel as though he's in it for the fame. However extraditing him to the United States is widely reported to be a bad idea, as in they'll put him to death. This doesn't sound like the land of the free to me. He embarassed the United States and now they want his head. In fact, all he did was act as distributor to the leaked documents given to him.
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:56 pm

I doubt the US would do anything, let alone extradite him (making him a martyr in any way = bad). I don't know anything about the charges beyond published hearsay; people have both good and evil sides so no clue there -- if pressed, I tend to lean toward thinking that if they were totally fabricated charges then he'd have access to a choice of lawyers that would just shut the whole thing down faster than you can blinkso I think there's a chance something dirty went down since he really, really doesn't want to face that music (and how many people get convicted vs exonerated on rape charges, really..) Not everyone respects the right of asylum an even if they did I'm pretty sure avoiding rape charges wasn't the first thing that came to mind when they drafted it. Lastly, he's picked an "interesting" place to try to escape to -- one that doesn't respect freedom of information. I can't see the fire through all the smoke on this one but it doesn't mean that it's not there.

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Do you think he picked Ecuador because they don't have such a great relationship with the US? Going for a common enemy etc. Be interesting to see what happens next.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Ecuador does not extradite for political cases.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/20 ... uador_why/